Sunday, May 18, 2008

My own medicine

May 18/08

Vancouver just finished hosting the annual New Music West event, a showcase featuring up and coming artists from the Vancouver area and around the world. This year saw 265 artists spread out over 24 venues around the city over a four day period.

This show features two of the bands I had a chance to see live (Firebug and Versus the Nothing) as well as a cross-section of new and vintage artists.

The show title comes from me forcing myself to spend an evening at a showcase of material that I don't normally listen to (metal). I actually had a great time!

As we haven't played anything bluesy for a while, we open up with a couple of blues influenced pieces by Amit Riff and Steve Lukather. Also included: a Led Zeppelin cut I haven't listened to in years that reminded me of how powerful their music was. We also play two bands out of Toronto that have caught my ear (Dream Aria and Parker) plus some great progressive rock from Flaming Bess and Presence.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Michael

No comments: